Inclement weather policy: While we do not encourage driving in inclement weather we will always have an instructor available if you choose to attend your lesson. Please call the office 610.644.1963 if you are unable to attend.
Heat policy: To ensure the health and well-being of horses, Thorncroft follows the Heat Index Equine Activity Scale below, in which the heat index calculated is the sum total of actual air temperature (Degree) and relative humidity(%)
180+:Unmounted lessons only.
170-180: Walk-only lessons. No trot or canter.
160-170: Walk with minimum trot permitted. No canter.
150-160: Minimum trot, no canter.
130-150: Walk, trot, and minimal canter at the discretion of the instructor (Factoring in horses, age, fitness, health conditions, workload, etc.)
< 130: Up to the instructor’s discretion
Cold weather policy: If temperatures are below 20 degrees Fahrenheit in the facilities’ indoor arenas, Thorncroft’s lessons will transition to unmounted.
Severe weather policy: In the event of severe weather that may include thunder and lighting, high winds, or hail, Thorncroft will follow the following protocol:
- All lessons in the indoor arena shall stop, riders will dismount, and return horses to their stalls
- All riders outside on property shall dismount and return horses to their stalls
- If time does not permit horse to be returned to their stalls, horses will be untacked, and, under instructor direction, remain in the arena riders are in, or, in the arena closest to you
- The most senior staff member is responsible for all directions in the barn. If horses are outside, they will remain in their fields
- The generator will activate and power the lobby, barn, arena, and back office
- In an emergency, the most senior staff member is responsible for all directions
Please see Thorncroft’s Payment Policy for more information related to our lesson cancellation policy.
Thorncroft is proud to set this example of high quality horsemanship and responsibility for our students by prioritizing the health of our equine partners.
Monday – Friday: 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Saturday: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.